If you cook dinner for your family often, you probably have several recipes that call for cans of cream of mushroom soup. I know I do! Now, I know those cans of soup with pop-n-pull lids are very convenient, BUT!…Have you read the list of ingredients on those cans?! (bleck!) AND if you taste this homemade version I think you will agree the extra time to make this is WELL worth it!
This will make roughly the same amount as 2 – 10.5oz cans of store bought condensed cream of mushroom soup. If you only need the equivalent of 1 can you can cut the recipe in half or put half of it in an air tight container and store in the fridge for up to a week. It also freezes well.
Start with 8 ounces of mushrooms:
When they are all chopped up 8oz is about 3 1/2 cups.
Put the chopped mushrooms in a skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 tsp of thyme.
Cook on medium high heat, stirring often until tender and lightly browned.
Add 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder and stir to coat.
When the mushrooms are covered with the flour get a whisk out and slowly pour 1 cup of chicken broth and 1/2 cup cream into the pan while you continually whisk. Your heat should still be on medium high and your soup will quickly start to bubble and thicken.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You can now use this in any recipe calling for condensed cream of mushroom soup.
*Please note…This is CONDENSED so, if you want cream of mushroom soup add 2 cups of milk and heat through.
- 8oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cream (half and half or almond milk work fine too)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chopped mushrooms, butter and thyme in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Stir often and cook until mushrooms are tender and brown.
- While the mushrooms are cooking mix together the flour, onion powder and garlic powder. When the mushrooms are done add the flour mixture and stir to coat the mushrooms.
- Now get a whisk and slowly pour the chicken broth and cream on the mushrooms, whisking the whole time. Keep whisking while it all heats up and starts to bubble. It will thicken quickly!
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.