Welcome to the second day of our week long summer kick off! We are sharing a picnic/potluck type recipe everyday this week. If you missed it you can check out yesterdays Chicken Bacon and Ranch Pasta Salad.
The inspiration for this recipe is the massive amount of raspberries coming from the garden.
These dessert bars are delicious and they just scream SUMMER!
Here’s the list of ingredients you will need for the crust: 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 3/4 cup cold butter and a dash of salt. Filling: 1/2 cup raspberry jam, 4 cups fresh raspberries, 2 tablespoons of flour. Streusel Topping: 1/2 cup cold butter, 1 cup of flour, 1 cup brown sugar.
Start with the crust by combining flour, powdered sugar and salt, then cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is roughly the size of small peas. Press the mixture with your hands into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan and bake for 12-14 minutes at 375 degrees. It should just be starting to turn brown.
While your crust is in the oven place a small sauce pan on the stove with your jam in it and heat on medium low heat to melt the jam and make it easy to spread over your crust. I did not have raspberry jam so I used strawberry and it came out great! So either kind will work. Gently spread your melted jam over your warm crust.
Then take raspberries, add a little flour to them and sprinkle over your jam layer.
Last you add the streusel topping. Mix brown sugar, butter, and flour until you have a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the raspberry layer.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Let the bars cool before you cut them. You can serve them alone or a la mode!
- 11/2 cups flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Dash of salt
- ¾ cup cold butter (one and a half sticks) cut into small pieces
- Berry Filling:
- ½ cup of raspberry jam (or strawberry)
- 4 cups fresh raspberries (or thawed, frozen raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Streusel Topping:
- ½ cup of cold butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup four
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- For the crust: Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt, then cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until the butter is the size of small peas. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan and bake for 12 to 14 minutes. It should just be starting to turn brown.
- Berry Filling: While the crust is cooking, heat the jam in a small sauce pan on medium low heat to melt and make it easy to spread. Gently spread the melted jam over the warm crust. Mix the raspberries with a couple tablespoons of flour and sprinkle them over the jam layer.
- Streusel Topping: Mix together the brown sugar and flour then cut in the butter until you have a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle over the raspberry layer.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares. This pan will make 24 good sized bars. You can cut this recipe in half and put it into an 8x8" pan. Store in the fridge, remove from the fridge one hour before serving.