If you have never roasted garlic you should totally do it! Here is a link to my post: “How To Roast Garlic“.
I LOVE this bread! I feel like a rock star every time I pull a loaf out of the oven, and it’s soooo simple. You should go start a loaf so you can feel like a rock star too!! (or a country music star or a pop star or whatever floats your boat) You can make this bread without the garlic too, it’s still delicious.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, yeast, roasted garlic, garlic powder and water. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 12 to 18 hours. I usually mix it up after dinner and bake it for breakfast the next morning. After it sits for around 12 hours it will look like this:
Use a rubber spatula and scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a very well floured surface. It will be very sticky so cover your hands with flour too. Roll the dough into a ball and let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes.
While the dough is resting on the counter, put an empty Dutch oven (or any pot with a lid that is high heat tolerant) in the oven and turn it on to 450°F to pre-heat.
After the dough has rested for 30 minutes and the oven and the pot are pre-heated to 450°, take the hot pot out of the oven and put the ball of dough in it. Put the lid back on and bake for another agonizing 30 minutes. I find that times like these are good for the little chores I don’t want to do. Scrub the kitchen sink, load the laundry equipment, sweep ALL the way under the table. A little accomplishment while I wait makes the treat feel more deserved when the oven chimes. At this point the bread is cooked, but this is “crusty bread” we’re making, so take the lid off and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. This is meant to brown the crust and give it that wonderful CRUNCH! When you pull it out of the oven it will look like this!
Let it cool before you cut into it!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 whole head of roasted garlic (8 to 10 cloves) cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups room temperature water
- In a large bowl stir together all the ingredients adding the water last. When all the ingredients are well incorporated cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set it on the counter for 12 to 18 hours.
- Scrape the dough out of the bowl with a rubber spatula onto a well floured surface. It will be sticky so make sure your hands are well floured too. Form the dough into a ball and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Put a Dutch oven in the oven at 450° to preheat the oven and the pot.
- When the pot is hot and the dough has sat for 30 minutes, take the pot out and put the dough in it. Place the lid back on it and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Take the loaf out of the pot and let it cool before slicing.
This recipe was adapted from this recipe at Simply So Good.com